1. Communication. You are required to ensure that Lefika La Phodiso has your latest contact details on record. We also ask of our students to regularly read their emails and respond accordingly to them. From our side, we will communicate with you through email as a main channel. Please make sure that you have a working email address.
2. Supervision. You will be required to attend supervision when you train and work as a community art counsellor. For the duration of the training period, the cost of your supervision is included in your course fees.
3. Case conference. Every last Friday of the month is the time for us to get together as a community and share our work for input and discussion. Make sure that you present AT LEAST ONE case at the case conference during your internship. This is a course requirement.
4. Clinical hours. You are required to complete at least 60 hours of clinical work. Lefika can assist in placing you in an internship site where you can work under the mentorship of one of our Train the Trainers. These hours must be documented and signed off by a supervisor. on the site or the Train the Trainer that you are placed with.
5. Assessments. Each module consists of two forms of assessments (Formative and Summative).
• Formative: This is what you will have completed experientially during the training. You are required to sign off the activities for every module after it is completed. You will be required to bring an A3 Visual Diary for all your experiential training activities. This will form part of your Portfolio of Evidence (POE).
• Summative: A set of questions will be given out after every module to be completed before you can enter the next module. This will be assessed by an external assessor and moderator.
Please note that if at any point, you require a remark of your assessments, you will be liable for the additional costs.
• Please also note that we do require you to reference all the sources you’ve used in your assessments according to the Harvard method (to be supplied)
6. Certificates: After completing the modular training, assessments and clinical hours required you will receive a certificate from Lefika La Phodiso.
7. Accreditation: This course is accredited by HWSETA with a certificate at an NQF Level 5 certificate.
8. Registration: You will be able to register at the council for counsellors after completion of the course, assessments and clinical hours after the course has been accredited.
9. Code of conduct: We require strict adherence to ethical guidelines (to be provided) from all Community Art Counsellors trained by Lefika La Phodiso.
10. Scope of practice: Please make sure that you study the scope of practice (to be provided) in detail. This will be your guiding document on the road to be a successful Community Art Counsellor.
11. Art therapy: We draw a lot of our readings, academic material and experiential training from the field of Art Therapy. It is what informs this training program. Unfortunately, there is no formal training in Art Therapy in South Africa currently and the Lefika course provides Community Art Counselling. Therefore, you cannot call yourself an Art Therapist. If there are any developments on this, we will also inform those of you who wish to further their studies in the field. After this training, you can only practice as a Community Art Counsellor. This will be unpacked in-depth during your training.
12. Volunteer opportunities: During your training, we will call on you to volunteer on certain programs and projects. Please view this as learning opportunities and use them as such.
13. Personal therapy. We require that you engage with some form of personal therapy. Please contact us if you need a referral.